Does pulling in the clutch run the fuel pump?

alexis
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 intruder

Re: Does pulling in the clutch run the fuel pump?

Post by alexis »

FallenAngel wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:34 pm
Springer wrote:I'm new here and to the S83. I may have heard or read somewhere > that by pulling in the clutch lever > runs the fuel pump > to start a cold bike. Has anybody heard of such a thing?

If my bike sits for more than 3 days, then the Front carb loses its prime and it takes alot of cranking to start it. Sometimes, letting it sit for 20 minutes, after cranking, with the gas on > gets it going.

The wires to my clutch lever came disconnected. If the clutch lever doesn't run the fuel pump then I'll switch out the 5/16" automotive line and put on the $30 ea > OEM fuel line (with the factory bends). If that doesn't do it, then I'll lift the float a MM or two, to get more fuel in the bowl. Other than hard starting after a few days of sitting, the bike runs fine.
To prime your carbs you push the starter button with out pulling in the clutch
You can hot wire the fuel pump relay
This may help
Herb wrote:I jumpered the relay connector O/W to Br/B. The pump starts working as soon as I turn on the ignition but the kill switch will shut it off. Power for the pump comes into the relay on O/W and out on the Br/B.

The O/W wire is actually power out of the kill switch.
Hi, I'm new to intruders, I'm losing power while riding, do this mean I have to press starter to prime the pump and send gas to front carb?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

you can try that and if it works you have a problem with the pump control safety circuit.

Tell us more about the loss of power. Does it seem to be one cylinder quitting? If so, can you isolate which cylinder it is?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

alexis
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 93 intruder

Post by alexis »

Thanks for the replay Herb, yes it is the front carb, looks like after a minutes of riding not enough gas goes up to front carb, if I release the throttle and accelerate again gas gets into it. Cruising in 4-5th gear only rear carb is working.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

alexis wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:07 am
Thanks for the replay Herb, yes it is the front carb, looks like after a minutes of riding not enough gas goes up to front carb, if I release the throttle and accelerate again gas gets into it. Cruising in 4-5th gear only rear carb is working.
That sounds more like a carb problem than a pump problem.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.