Progressive rear shocks

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Re: Progressive rear shocks

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:The only real advantage with Iridium is that they last a whole lot longer. You might dismantle the plug caps and give all the contacting surfaces a clean then cut the leads back about 1/4".
[emoji41]
Did that today Lechy and went to get some gas. After about four miles i gave it some heavy throttle in 4th and had real bad miss. Did the same on the way back and had no problem. WTF!! Thought i might try new plugs and see what happens. :blink:
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Take her on the slab and give her a real good spanking, might just blow a few cobwebs away.
:naughty: [emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

m2h wrote:
m2h wrote:
Herb wrote:
m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:Did the 13" Progressive shocks alter the ride height any? I am inseam challenged and the stock height is fine for me. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a set.

Also, how much do they firm up the ride? I've had back surgery and have continuing issues there. I don't want to jar my spine too much.

Hi Forge. No mate the height was the same. As i said^ the ride just seemed to be firmer as in smooth not as in hard if you get my drift. I've not yet had chance to ride since i turned them to a softer position ( 2nd cam) but will try today and post for you. I also have a long standing back issue so like you i was not wanting to fork out for these things but i feel they are better. I fitted a ProTac back rest and man that was a game changer.

Well Forge i went out to fill up with gas ( about 8miles one way) with the shocks set on 2nd cam and it was a little softer. You could feel a bit of bounce rather than a jolt. I'm gonna leave it there for awhile and maybe try em on the 1st cam at some stage.
Dont go touring too much but i think with my full big rack pack on it should be about right. I feel pretty good about them now. :clap:
Cheers
Thanks for the update. I just ordered my set! I already have the Progressive front springs but haven't installed them yet. I'm also waiting on a call back from Protac so I can order a backrest. New Metzler 888's are in progress. It's funny how it all adds up and your inexpensive bike suddenly sucks your wallet dry.
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Lechy wrote:Take her on the slab and give her a real good spanking, might just blow a few cobwebs away.
:naughty: [emoji41]
I think thats what caused this in the first plce bro :lmao:
M2H

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:
m2h wrote:
m2h wrote:
Herb wrote:
m2h wrote:
Forge wrote:Did the 13" Progressive shocks alter the ride height any? I am inseam challenged and the stock height is fine for me. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a set.

Also, how much do they firm up the ride? I've had back surgery and have continuing issues there. I don't want to jar my spine too much.

Hi Forge. No mate the height was the same. As i said^ the ride just seemed to be firmer as in smooth not as in hard if you get my drift. I've not yet had chance to ride since i turned them to a softer position ( 2nd cam) but will try today and post for you. I also have a long standing back issue so like you i was not wanting to fork out for these things but i feel they are better. I fitted a ProTac back rest and man that was a game changer.

Well Forge i went out to fill up with gas ( about 8miles one way) with the shocks set on 2nd cam and it was a little softer. You could feel a bit of bounce rather than a jolt. I'm gonna leave it there for awhile and maybe try em on the 1st cam at some stage.
Dont go touring too much but i think with my full big rack pack on it should be about right. I feel pretty good about them now. :clap:
Cheers
Thanks for the update. I just ordered my set! I already have the Progressive front springs but haven't installed them yet. I'm also waiting on a call back from Protac so I can order a backrest. New Metzler 888's are in progress. It's funny how it all adds up and your inexpensive bike suddenly sucks your wallet dry.
Yeah i put 888's on mine about a year ago. Still not sure about em in the wet but i'm pretty cautious then anyway. I dont have a wallet the moths ate it. :lmao: Hope it all goes good for you keep us updated brother
M2H

Rick
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by Rick »

I added the Progressive 412's to my bike a few weeks ago. I wanted to put some miles on them before I gave my opinion. Now, after 400 miles I can say they are a great improvement. The bouncing from the 17 year old OEM shocks is gone. They make the ride much more enjoyable. I also added the Progressive fork springs and 15 wt oil. Not sure if the thicker oil did anything special but the overall suspension modifications I made to the bike improved the handling a great deal. The money was well spent.

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Rick wrote:I added the Progressive 412's to my bike a few weeks ago. I wanted to put some miles on them before I gave my opinion. Now, after 400 miles I can say they are a great improvement. The bouncing from the 17 year old OEM shocks is gone. They make the ride much more enjoyable. I also added the Progressive fork springs and 15 wt oil. Not sure if the thicker oil did anything special but the overall suspension modifications I made to the bike improved the handling a great deal. The money was well spent.

Glad to hear you're happy with the 412's Rick. Haven't used mine again yet, weather's bin crap here for awhile. Odd sunny day but mostly rain and cloud. Just need to wait for Forge to get his on and see what he says :clap: Nice looking bike man :rock:
M2H

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Rick wrote:I added the Progressive 412's to my bike a few weeks ago. I wanted to put some miles on them before I gave my opinion. Now, after 400 miles I can say they are a great improvement. The bouncing from the 17 year old OEM shocks is gone. They make the ride much more enjoyable. I also added the Progressive fork springs and 15 wt oil. Not sure if the thicker oil did anything special but the overall suspension modifications I made to the bike improved the handling a great deal. The money was well spent.

Just a tip, if you are not 2up, turn that Tbag around and shift the weight by placing it on the rear seat....handling will improve big time. :cheers:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

m2h wrote:
Rick wrote:I Just need to wait for Forge to get his on and see what he says :clap: Nice looking bike man :rock:
My Progressive rear shocks are scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I installed the Progressive front springs and used 15 weight fork oil Friday and took her out for a 110 mile ride today. I found a pretty rough country road and I definitely noticed the front end was more firm and solid feeling, but smooth. Unfortunately, it made the rear pogo action more noticeable. The front was steady as the rear bounced me. I can't wait for them to show up tomorrow so I can install them. I am a little nervous about the extra firmness on my back. I'll let you know!

Oh, yeah. The new ME888's handled great with no groove following or wobble.
:cheers: :cheers:
Arthritis sucks!

Rick
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by Rick »

Thanks, you guys. There's not much in the T-Bag's but I see your point about keeping the weight on the seat.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

I just got the new Progressive 412 shocks installed along with the Protac backrest. I did the Progressive front springs and 15wt oil last week and the front was completely different, but accented the pogo stick action of the rear. I haven't had a chance to take her out yet since doing the rear shocks.

First thing about the Protac is WOW! While on the kickstand in the driveway, I put my feet up on the pegs and got comfy. Just for the minute or so sitting there, I am impressed. This is going to make my old man butchered up back feel much better. That actually has me more excited about taking her out than the shocks do.

The shocks. VERY easy install. I broke the nuts loose and then I used a scissor jack from my Ram and lightly lifted under the edge of the battery box while leaning on the kickstand just enough to take enough off the rear so that the shocks would come off and go back on easily. The Protac brackets go between the shocks and the side rail using the upper shock mounting stud, so I installed the mounts at this time. Then I tightened the nuts finger tight and then lowered the bike and tightened everything up. I think it may have taken me 10 minutes. The second time took me 5 minutes. I found that the lower part of the shock would get hit with my Viking hard bags if I bounced them, so I removed the shocks again and rotated the bottom of the shocks to bring them in more. The bottom mount is offset so you can bring the shocks in or out a little depending on which side is to the outside.

I am ready to take her for a hard run, but they are predicting tomorrow to be our hottest day so far. It is supposed to get up to 105 tomorrow here in San Antonio. That's rough riding weather. I'm an A/C contractor and am acclimated to the heat. 105 not counting heat index at 75 mph? Forget that. If I can break away in the morning before it gets too hot, I will give my perspective report.
Arthritis sucks!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

I took her out for a 25 mile run around town this morning. It was mostly on the highways and through some neighborhoods including a pretty rough street. I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 185 pounds. I had the shocks set to the second to the last softest preload setting. For me and my back which was acting up a little this morning, that was a little too stiff. It might be fine when my back is having a better day. About halfway through my run, I set her to the softest preload setting and that works for me. It is comfortable and absorbs bumps in the road without bouncing like a pogo stick. She definitely handles better in the turns and feels more sure footed and planted than stock even on the softest setting. I am not a peg scraping canyon carver, but I appreciate her being more stable in a turn. I am happy with the Progressive suspension.

As for the Protac, it is almost unreal how it has transformed the feel of my S83 and was the highlight of my run this morning. I usually run with a small National Cycle Deflector type windshield to help keep from doing pullups on longer highway runs. Today, I decided not to use it because of how warm it was getting and I wanted airflow across my body. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket because I've had roadrash before and it sucks. Either way, with the Protac, NO windshield, and driving at 70 to 75 mph, there were no pull ups going on! I was firmly planted in my seat and resting up against the rest. I once read someone post somewhere that the Protac makes it feel like you are in your "Lay-Z-Boy" recliner going down the road. I had to chuckle, because that is exactly how I felt. I honestly felt like I was sitting in a comfortable chair riding down the highway! I LOVE IT! The Protac is by far the best money I've spent on my bike. The difference in ride and comfort is night and day. The only issue I had with it was on install. The mounting brackets were pointing slightly outwards after installing them and the backrest bars would not slide in place. I simply took a piece of rebar and inserted it into each mount and gently bent them inwards a little at a time until the seat slid right in. I can't wait to go on a longer run.

If anyone has back issues, I highly recommend the Protac backrest. A few guys mentioned it to me here in other posts, but now that I've tried it, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Even if my back was never messed up, I am pretty sure I would love having the Protac installed. Best mod I've ever done!

Next project. I have a set of Designer clutch springs I picked up a couple of months ago that need to be installed...
Arthritis sucks!

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast

Post by m2h »

Forge wrote:I took her out for a 25 mile run around town this morning. It was mostly on the highways and through some neighborhoods including a pretty rough street. I'm 5'4" tall and weigh 185 pounds. I had the shocks set to the second to the last softest preload setting. For me and my back which was acting up a little this morning, that was a little too stiff. It might be fine when my back is having a better day. About halfway through my run, I set her to the softest preload setting and that works for me. It is comfortable and absorbs bumps in the road without bouncing like a pogo stick. She definitely handles better in the turns and feels more sure footed and planted than stock even on the softest setting. I am not a peg scraping canyon carver, but I appreciate her being more stable in a turn. I am happy with the Progressive suspension.

As for the Protac, it is almost unreal how it has transformed the feel of my S83 and was the highlight of my run this morning. I usually run with a small National Cycle Deflector type windshield to help keep from doing pullups on longer highway runs. Today, I decided not to use it because of how warm it was getting and I wanted airflow across my body. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket because I've had roadrash before and it sucks. Either way, with the Protac, NO windshield, and driving at 70 to 75 mph, there were no pull ups going on! I was firmly planted in my seat and resting up against the rest. I once read someone post somewhere that the Protac makes it feel like you are in your "Lay-Z-Boy" recliner going down the road. I had to chuckle, because that is exactly how I felt. I honestly felt like I was sitting in a comfortable chair riding down the highway! I LOVE IT! The Protac is by far the best money I've spent on my bike. The difference in ride and comfort is night and day. The only issue I had with it was on install. The mounting brackets were pointing slightly outwards after installing them and the backrest bars would not slide in place. I simply took a piece of rebar and inserted it into each mount and gently bent them inwards a little at a time until the seat slid right in. I can't wait to go on a longer run.

If anyone has back issues, I highly recommend the Protac backrest. A few guys mentioned it to me here in other posts, but now that I've tried it, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Even if my back was never messed up, I am pretty sure I would love having the Protac installed. Best mod I've ever done!

Next project. I have a set of Designer clutch springs I picked up a couple of months ago that need to be installed...
The springs will be the next best thing you ever did! :clap: Glad you got things to your liking too! :smile:
M2H