Smoking 1400

PrinceMo
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1988 1400cc Intruder

Smoking 1400

Post by PrinceMo »

I have smoke SOMETIMES.
IT GOES FROM NOTHING TO A LITTLE TO A SMOKE SCREEN FROM A JAMES BOND MOVIE.

The only thing that may bring it on is traffic and the bike getting hot.

I just dont know how the smoke can change. I can go blocks or 100 miles with nothing then it starts.

HELP!
OK for those of you that dont know my bike is a 1988, 1400cc uncorked Intruder with 60.000 miles.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: Smoking 1400

Post by Blaine »

If it blue smoke it's oil.......You may want to take a compression test.....If compression is low...Add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinder & take test again......If compression comes up it's rings.....if not than top end.....Valve seals/guides.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

Yup, what he said. Cant be anything else. A small little bit of smoke, maybe a misfire from dirty plugs. But your james bond smoke thats totally oil. What else it could be?

Except if you put oil in your gas like its a 2 stroke :P
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

hurleyfrank wrote:Yup, what he said. Cant be anything else. A small little bit of smoke, maybe a misfire from dirty plugs. But your james bond smoke thats totally oil. What else it could be?

Except if you put oil in your gas like its a 2 stroke :P
The weird part is the way it comes and goes.

Usually, bad rings will smoke when driving at a steady speed, every time you drive.

Bad valve guides/seals will smoke on startup, after idling for a while (like at a traffic light), or after decel for a ways. They will smoke when first getting on the throttle, but then clear up.

I also had a car that smoked, a lot, but had good compression, wet or dry. pulled the heads, nothing wrong with them. Started pulling the pistons, ended up with 4 pistons the oil rings were stuck.

Sure be interesting to find out what the problem is.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

I was thinking about your trouble tonight, and there is MAYBE another way: PCV valve

Maybe, just maybe, your pcv stick open sometime, and it pukes oil in your front air box when doing so? that could explain the intermittence of the trouble...

I know, it's stretched a bit...

what you guys are thinkgs ?
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

hurleyfrank wrote:I was thinking about your trouble tonight, and there is MAYBE another way: PCV valve

Maybe, just maybe, your pcv stick open sometime, and it pukes oil in your front air box when doing so? that could explain the intermittence of the trouble...

I know, it's stretched a bit...

what you guys are thinkgs ?
I don't know, he didn't say if it was just one cylinder.

I know that he was having trouble with the rear cylinder.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Prolly just dumped in a whole new bottle of seafoam or something.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.