1 1/4" Frame Mount Foot pegs ?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Re: 1 1/4" Frame Mount Foot pegs ?

Post by Fred »

The foot pegs them selves are not located with anything but a 5/16 bolt. Friction alone is not safe or suitable procedure. Just saying-- not good enough for me and maybe not good enough for others.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:The foot pegs them selves are not located with anything but a 5/16 bolt. Friction alone is not safe or suitable procedure. Just saying-- not good enough for me and maybe not good enough for others.
Let's see, well over 300,000 miles, able to stand on the pegs, and no problems. Can't see a safety issue.

If your are that much of a wimp, weld the dam things up, after you get them adjusted properly.

A man ask what others had done for extra pegs. I showed what has worked well for me. If someone doesn't want to use the idea, their privilege.

BUT, don't give me a bunch of hogwash about the safety of something that has worked this well, for this long. Bet you won't consider a DS tire either, even though there are a lot of us that have been running them for years, with no problems.

BTW, the reason I didn't just relocate the front pegs is that I wanted more than one position for my feet. Long days in the saddle can get REALLY uncomfortable without being able to change positions.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

All so seen UNSAFE by many is standing on the pegs for a mile or more at a time while on all day trips or any trips for me. Works your legs and lots of other stuff.Thats why my old bunch likes the v strom so much. Bar/peg just right to do this easy and often.Plain jane sportster is good all so.
A 76 year old in our group pulled out Sat. after getting papers and proof of place leaving.He is doing a 1,500 mile day.Last year he went for same but because of a bad GPS reading was 37 miles short when he lay down to sleep thinking he was done.His son has done the five in a row 1,000 mile days.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Its probably rusted solid then, but at 100 kilos I would not stand on them --resting and stretching out I get ya.

I wont stand on pegs that look like my feet may suddenly hit the highway. I don't want my face hitting the speedometer at 70mph.

Suggesting safety is whimp is a bit naive and Im sure your cavalier engineering will be hopefully rejected. Just sayin.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:Its probably rusted solid then, but at 100 kilos I would not stand on them --resting and stretching out I get ya.

I wont stand on pegs that look like my feet may suddenly hit the highway. I don't want my face hitting the speedometer at 70mph.

Suggesting safety is whimp is a bit naive and Im sure your cavalier engineering will be hopefully rejected. Just sayin.
this has gone far enough, you are an idiot, just trying to stir shit.

this arrangement has worked well for over 27 years and over 300,000 miles.

I offered a viable answer to the initial post, he can take it or leave it, just as you can.

done
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

You are quite right herb and just for your refererence this is not for you. Safety on a motorcycle is very serious --are they not dangerous enough. If I can see a mechanical defect I will speak up and give benefit of my years of mechanical engineering. I was an MOT ( Ministry of Transport) tester in UK at one time and would not have allowed those pegs. But I think you all know that by the silence the photo has retrieved. Ride safe.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:You are quite right herb and just for your refererence this is not for you. Safety on a motorcycle is very serious --are they not dangerous enough. If I can see a mechanical defect I will speak up and give benefit of my years of mechanical engineering. I was an MOT ( Ministry of Transport) tester in UK at one time and would not have allowed those pegs. But I think you all know that by the silence the photo has retrieved. Ride safe.

I have been riding safe for 54 years, many hundreds of thousands of miles. Never had a crash, or even a close call, because of equipment failure. Well, unless you call a helmet causing a crash an equipment failure. Never have built or repaired something in an unsafe manner, never will.

Safety inspector, huh?

More like a typical government bureaucrat, full of bull shit.

bet you even have brown eyes.

Boonie2
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2002 Vs1400

Post by Boonie2 »

SHUT THE HELL UP , BOTH OF YOU GUYS , GOD THAT GETS OLD :bang: :bang I appriciate your setup Herb and what works for you , but all the arguing between you guys does nothing , you dont need to defend your setup , if it works for you , GREAT ..
there's always one "Machanical Engineer" in every forum that has to argue about everything ..Just gets really old :bang:
RIDE SAFE :putput:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Boonie2 wrote:SHUT THE HELL UP , BOTH OF YOU GUYS , GOD THAT GETS OLD :bang: :bang I appriciate your setup Herb and what works for you , but all the arguing between you guys does nothing , you dont need to defend your setup , if it works for you , GREAT ..
there's always one "Machanical Engineer" in every forum that has to argue about everything ..Just gets really old :bang:
your right, I should never have let it get to me.

sorry bout that.

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Cavalier engineering is an American right. :rag:

bbf
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Vs1400

Post by bbf »

I believe RIVCO makes a set that fits our down tubes. I was looking into a set a while back. Due to some other issues(personal) I didn't purchase. I wanted those for the fact if I was just banging around on local rds I could take them off easily. The only issue I for seen with them was if you didn't get them tight enough they could slip. Hope this helps.