Stator cover leak after replacement

BrokenThenFixed
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1988 Suzuki Intruder VS 1400

Stator cover leak after replacement

Post by BrokenThenFixed »

I just replaced the stator cover after having cracked it when dumping it. I replaced the gasket, transferred the stator, and re-routed the cables. After incorrectly installing one of the starter gears the first time I correctly re-assembled the internals and wrenched it down. The manual suggests that there is not torque specifications for these bolts, but since it is aluminium I didn't really crank down on it. I did not use any gasket grease, and I scraped the remaining gasket off of the joining surfaces. This scraping job left some very small particles. It is leaking. A lot. I notice the oil bubble out of the top of the cover when throttling the bike.

Can anyone make a suggestion about resolving this issue? I am going to leave the bike over night to see if time lets the gasket do its job. If not, should I get a new gasket? Should I be using gasket sealer? Do I need to get even the tiniest bit of gasket particle out of there? How do you clean this seam when doing this job?
:hat:

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Re: Stator cover leak after replacement

Post by scootermcq »

BrokenThenFixed wrote: Can anyone make a suggestion about resolving this issue?
Yes
BrokenThenFixed wrote:I am going to leave the bike over night to see if time lets the gasket do its job.
Won't make a difference
BrokenThenFixed wrote:If not, should I get a new gasket?
It's probably fine
BrokenThenFixed wrote:Should I be using gasket sealer?
Only if you want to grenade your engine
BrokenThenFixed wrote:Do I need to get even the tiniest bit of gasket particle out of there?
Absolutely
BrokenThenFixed wrote:How do you clean this seam when doing this job?
:hat:

Scott

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Use some of Scoot's gasket remover then a thin coat of Permatex 300 on both surfaces. DO NOT USE ANY SILICON PRODUCTS.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't know where everyone gets the idea that gasket sealer is a problem, especially the silicone ones. Used according to the directions they work quite well, even able to use it instead of a gasket, in a pinch.

There are 4 main things that can cause the stator cover to leak.

One is the rubber gasket the wires go through. If it isn't installed correctly it will prevent the cover from seating completely. I have also had trouble with the rubber seal leaking because of the wires being pulled through it, at 126,000 miles it had got pretty hard and the silicon sealer was what I had to use to stop the leak. Suzuki doesn't sell the rubber block separate.

The second is the starter gear shaft. If there is any dirt in the holes it will keep the cover from seating. The first time I did a stator on a 1400 I got gasket material in the hole and even cleaning in a parts washer I didn't get it out. Wasn't even a big piece.

Third, the dowel pins have to be seated properly. Any dirt in the holes will create a problem.

Fourth, the stator installation is kind of touchy. it and the wiring have to be in just the right spots or the wiring will keep the cover from seating properly.

As for tightening the bolts. At the back of the Suzuki manual there is a chart that gives torques by bolt size. If I remember correctly the bolt (not head) diameter of those bolts is 6mm. That would make make the torque 3-5 lb-ft, 36-60 in-lbs.

Keep in mind that the cover should fit down correctly without any bolt force. You should be able to hold it tight enough that oil wound not leak out.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

evine1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder vs1400

Post by evine1 »

I hope you have resolved the issue but, for the record the Clymer manual says you should not use gasket sealer because the gasket is designed to absorb oil and swell up to seal the joint and the sealant can prevent this . That's not to say it wont seal but it's up to you.

hurleyfrank
Learning My Moped
My Bike: vs1400 2004 still stock

Post by hurleyfrank »

FYI, don't use only permatex. the gasket make the clearance for the shafts inside and it could rattle if you replace the gasket with only permatex.
Bike: Suzuki VS1400 Intruder 2004. K&N drop-ins, cobra slip-ons. Living the dream!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I am a professional mechanic and have been since I left school and did a RR apprentice ship.

I do not use silicone.

BABIS
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: VS1400

Post by BABIS »

I replaced that gasket the last week, I spent about 2 hours cleaning the surfaces from the old gasket! in the end no leaks at all ;)
We declare that the splendour of the world has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing automobile with its bonnet adorned with great tubes like serpents with explosive breath ... a roaring motor car which seems to run on machine-gun fire is more beautiful than the Victory of Samothrace.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:I am a professional mechanic and have been since I left school and did a RR apprentice ship.

I do not use silicone.
OK. But I do, and have been doing almost all of my own maint, on every vehicle I have owned for the last 55 years. Most of my vehicles had over 100K before I bought them.

I also spent 30 years as a Marine working on aircraft, jets to helos, and there were many places that it was used on them.

Gasket sealer has many uses and there are places it is a must. Many manufactures specify the use of silicone sealant is certain applications. I don't see how you can say you never use silicone sealant.

Many V6 and V8 vehicles call for the use it on the intake manifolds. Caterpillar uses a silicone sealant on certain parts and it is the only gasket used.

Working on older equipment it can be the only thing that will seal it.

On both my 1400s I had to use it to seal the rubber block that the stator wires go through because it leaked, after changing the stator, and suzuki doesn't even sell the dam thing.

Telling people that they should never use it is bad advice. Telling them that it should be used sparingly, would be much better.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I did not say I don't use gasket sealant --on the contrary but not silicone.

My preference is Indian head shilac, Hylomar.

I did not tell people not to use silicone ,---I said I don't.

I wont use it on my engines.

The emphasis here is "silicone' not gasket sealant.